Coverage Needed for a Hit & Run

When you live in Minnesota, auto insurance is required for you to be on the roads. However, you can choose how much coverage you add beyond what the state requires as a minimum. If you are involved in a hit and run, there are various types of coverage you want to make sure are a part of your policy to avoid paying a lot out of pocket.

#1: Collision

Collision coverage is very common among policies. While it is not required by the state, is easily added onto a policy. It’s going to cover auto repairs, regardless of fault. This means that you can save a lot of money by not having to make the repairs on your own.

#2: Uninsured Motorist

While people are required to have insurance, not everyone does. If you get into an accident where someone doesn’t have insurance, you will want uninsured motorist coverage to ensure that medical bills are paid and car repairs are made. During a hit-and-run, you can’t get their insurance card and therefore this is important coverage.

#3: Personal Injury Protection

PIP is affordable protection that can cover medical bills, time away from work, and even child care if you are unable to take care of your kids. It covers for you and passengers.

#4: Medical Payments Coverage

This is yet another form of coverage that you can add to your auto insurance policy. It can go above and beyond any other limits that you may have blown through because of high medical bills. It can cover payments for both you and the passengers who were in your vehicle during the hit-and-run.

Contact us at Calhoun Risk Management to learn about coverage inside of an auto policy. We can answer questions you may have about insurance in Minnesota and help you find a great auto policy today.